Proficiency through Awareness and Participation
Professional and laypeople may now integrate the PATH process into their approaches to health, education and environment, equipped with the skill-sets and methodologies necessary to practise Participatory Awareness. The key is learning the skill of enhancing conscious awareness to open up subconscious and superconscious layers of the mind and entering into internal partnerships with these different parts of self. Inner blocks and self restrictions can thereby be removed and hidden resources awakened. This provides the inner foundation for external partnerships to flourish -personal relationships, patients, clients, learners or nature.
Our workshops take you through the PATH experience and process in all its depth and subtlety, making use of visionary, artistic and dramatic activities in dynamic group participation. You will emerge with both the practical skills and theoretical foundation on which to build your own applications of Participatory Awareness
A workshop on Participatory Healing in three modules
Module 1 The starting point for a training in intuitive healing is to Know Yourself. The first module will therefore focus on a full and conscious participative exploration into all aspects of Self, getting to know experientially through the objective human I , the nature of body mind/soul and spirit. One will explore and uncover inner blocks, fixed positions and self restrictions that are the seed forms of illness. By awakening to hidden expansive resources one will learn how to manage, and regulate self limitation and to transform it into health giving opportunities. Steps in the process of self knowledge and self realisation during this module will include the following
1. Human awareness and experience as the gateway to all knowledge will be explored in depth. There are four gateways which provide the experiential tools needed to understand the self :
2. Cognitive experience, thinking, memory – I can think about my headache and can recall when it started
3. Sensory experience – I can perceive the pain directly in my temples
4. Emotive experience, feelings, emotions – This experience may make me feel helpless, frustrated, upset
5. Will based expressive experience – it forces me to rest or I can express the pain in my head through an appropriate gesture
Each gateway opens up a world of experience each distinctly different from the other. Becoming experts in these four awareness faculties and learning to enhance and expand their activities, equip one to explore the phenomenon of self
B. Learning to access the Objective Observer
In exploring oneself as the primary phenomenon, one must have access to an objective observer who sees clearly what’s happening and is unclouded / unbiased by personal sensory or emotional experience. This is only possible by separating one’s observing self from the phenomena of experience. This is done by learning to “step” out of any position one finds oneself in, eg experiencing the headache, stepping out and observing the after image of the person experiencing the headache, aided by body expression and gesture.
C. Exploring the Phenomena of the Self using the objective I as a valid witness allows one to discover three major aspects of the self
1. an embodied aspect– unconscious or subconscious
2. a psychological aspect – semi conscious or conscious
3. a non personal “spiritual” aspect – superconscious
D. Discerning what’s healthy and unhealthy within the psychosomatic field will uncover habitual patterns, fixed positions and blocks and addictions of all kinds, on the cognitive, sensory, emotive or volitional level. The hurt one, rejected one, the angry one. These positions are the subjective victim experience. These create the dispositions for illness.
E. Awakening to and creating new Resources on all three levels of self will open up new possibilities for overcoming self restriction and preventing potential illness. Herein lies the scope for self empowerment and inner transformation
F. Experiencing these varied aspects of self, artistically, interactively and dramatically enables a deep knowing of who one is, an essential prerequisite for our participatory experience as the healing practitioner and for finding the empathy and compassion needed to participate in the meeting with our patient or client.
With some knowledge of Self, the second module will focus on Knowing Your Partner –the patient or client, the partners in one’s own self, in the World, Nature and Cosmos. One will revisit the biographical characters that inhabit one’s psyche and envisage the ideal partners that one would choose to become. One will acquire a skill set for objective observation, Empathy, and Conscious Imagination which will open a second window to intuitive healing.
A. We first discover the partners we ourselves have with ourselves using the four gateways of experience and the objective I to make clear unbiased observations. We move our position from pure subjective experience to gaining insight into the nature of these many partners.
1. Our Body in its many different elements
2. Many Functional Characters we carry in our own Psyche: the doctor / healer / friend / lover / father / mother / brother / sister
3. The Layers of Biographical Characters that live continuously like onion layers within the psyche. We meet these time variants of ourselves and learn how to inwardly and meaningfully dialogue with these younger versions of ourselves.
4. The Dysfunctional Characters that we ourselves create in order to survive an insecure existence as a child: the pleaser / anxious one / melancholic / tough guy / driver / The world around us
5. The Projected Characters that we carry deeply hidden in our psyche, copied into our psyche by early childhood experience, that attack and abuse us constantly: the blamer / critic / judge / oppressor
6. The Ideal Characters and new Resources that we dream of becoming or can create through conscious imagination and embodiment
All these partners become dramatically real by the PATH technique of Stepping In, Stepping Out, Observing, entering into the experience of e.g. the depressed one, embodying it through self expression, stepping out and seeing graphically the after image from an objective standpoint.
B. We explore the world of the Elements and Ethers and the Kingdoms of Nature and discover that we can slip to some degree into this reality by the technique of Conscious Empathy. We can imitate a solid tree, move like water, air or fire.
C. The experience of other Human Beings will become far more accessible through our living experience with the partners that we live with and embody. A person walks with a limp and a hunched back, and by imitating him we can gain some idea of what it is like to be in such a body. If we find out how he’s feeling and sensing in his inner life, we can find the empathetic gesture that gives us some idea of his reality. The skill set of deep listening, imaginative thinking / compassion and empathy will be developed through interactive participation with fellow colleagues.
Module 3 Having gained insight into one’s Self and one’s Partner, the third module will focus on Knowing the We – the partnership, the relationship, the community, where giving and receiving have equal value and power. One will learn the skill set of acquiring humility and surrender, of engaging the healing will of the empowered inner physician and of trusting the diagnostic and healing potential that arises out of the mystery and unity of creative partnership. This will open a third doorway to intuitive healing.
A. Discovering Partnership, Relationship, Community
1. In one’s own Self.
- Understanding The Body Soul Spirit Continuum
- Exploring The Biographical Family – through biographical mapping
- Defining the extensive family of functional, dysfunctional, projected characters and learning to interact as a whole internal community.
- Family Constellations help us access the mystery of the living relationships and community that exist in our lives
- Building Partnerships and Community in the Group is a natural dynamic part of each module
B. Giving and Receiving, learning the art of giving that enables receiving and of receiving that inspires giving, through interactive processing
C. Acquiring the skill set of humility and surrender through interactive processing
D. Discovering the Power of the Will on seven levels: instinct / drive / desire / motivation / wish / intention / resolution and engaging the healing will of the empowered inner physician. The finding of this empowered inner physician in both the patient and the practitioner creates the participatory meeting for the partnership to unfold in its own right.
E. Learning to Trust the diagnostic and healing potential that arises out of the mystery and unity of creative partnership through interactive processing
Such a powerful tool for transformation and so well presented, I highly recommend this training for any therapist wishing to support their clients to higher levels of wellbeing.
Dr Jon Morley
Integrative Medical Doctor South Africa